Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Easy Tomato Basil Soup (I swear by this!)

This soup is a crowd favorite and super quick to make. It's perfect for the life of a college student or when you need to feed a ton of people. I make a huge pot and just eat it the rest of the week with mozzarella cheese on top and some nice bread on the side (I think it yields about 9 servings).

*1 Medium size onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
18 fresh basil leaves, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup butter or margarine

In large stovetop pan, sautee onions and garlic. Meanwhile, n a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add sauteed onions, garlic, basil and sugar. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream and butter. Cook until butter is melted.

*I added the onions and garlic to the original recipe. Also I add tons more spices, just whatever I have in my cupboard: Italian spices, oregano, rosemary, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment