Friday, October 29, 2010

Mommy Urban's Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

I grew up on this soup and there were many a winter evening memories cutting the noddles with my mom and plopping them into the soup. It warms the heart and soul. It is totes the best! I was reminded of it just the other day when my sister Bethany blogged the recipe so I just copied and pasted (even the picture taken by her). The homemade noodles are my absolute favorite. I am going to make this tonight with my sister and try wheat flour in the noodles. I'll tell you how it goes. Enjoy :)



1. Start by boiling the chicken.

3-3.5 lb. chicken cut up
6 cups water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
bay leaf

OR

6 cups chicken broth (or water mixed with "better than bouillon" (so good), or a combination of the two.)
4-ish chicken breasts
salt and pepper
bay leaf

Put all ingredients in pot, and heat to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until meat is fully cooked (less time if using chicken breasts). Remove chicken, and cool in a casserole dish. Skim off the fat. Remove chicken and cut into pieces.

(I usually chop the vegetables and get the noodles going while the chicken is simmering.)


2. Add the vegetables

4 stocks of celery, sliced
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 onion, chopped (Again, we omit the onions. Since I miss the onion flavor, I do add onion powder)
chicken boullion cube (or one tablespoon of "better than bouillon")
salt, pepper, and parsley to taste

Add vegetables to the soup and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.

3. Homemade Egg Noodles

Make these while the soup, chicken, and/or vegetables are simmering.

2 cups flower
3 eggs
2 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 cup water

Add flour to a large bowl. Make a well in the flour, then add the eggs and salt, then mix with a fork. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time while mixing with fork. Stop adding water when dough is stiff and easy to roll. Use a rolling pin to roll into preferred thickness on a floured, cloth covered board (or a clean, floured counter top). (I have learned to roll the dough QUITE thin, otherwise the noodles won't cook all the way through. They also plump up when added to the soup.) Slice them into strips with a pizza cutter, and add to boiling soup. Cook for another 7-10 minutes, test the doneness of the noodles, add the chicken, serve, and enjoy!

1 comment: